Final thoughts

This isn't a post per se, however, after 6 posts , I thought it would be a good opportunity to reflect on what I have written. It has been a difficult process and there are so many deep underlying issues when it comes to water and gender that overlap each other. It can be disheartening to see the challenges that women face and one naturally wants to find the most effective and sustainable solution. At the same time, I have realised that African women are not victims or helpless and with the right steps, can bring about significant change.

Through out, I have made sure I remain aware of my positionality as a white British male living in the UK and not begin making generalisations as was talked about by Wainaina. I did my best to find literature that was came from a variety of sources but of course much of my research was produced by authors in the 'Global North.' Although saying this, I always made sure to be aware that cultural norms and ideologies vary, and there may be things I disagree with that are customary in different cultures. 

Not everything could be discussed due to the vast amount of information, but I wanted to focus on the crux of several prominent issues and shed a light to them so that something can be done. It is only through having these difficult conversations that we can find solutions that make sure nobody is left behind in a rapidly growing and changing world. I am glad I was able to write this blog and a lot was learned. I hope I was able to direct some focus on a topic that is sometimes overlooked. 

Thank you for reading! 

Comments